As we all know that Light is the backbone of photography, Good quality light creates a stunning photograph that is also true that good quality light creates magical photographs. But there is one more truth that also exists. That is low key light photography also contribute to creates stunning photographs. In a pathway, the photographer must know which light factors will capture a better shot and which shot require low or high key light treatment.
What is low key light photography – A mixture of Low and High key lighting that help to create a mood. We set up all the lights, backdrops to highlight a particular area of subject or as per the shoot’s requirement. Shooting low key light photos requires a strong creative eye and technical knowledge of photography and its equipment. I must mention that the Low key light photography highlights the emotion and convey the strongest message of the photographs to the viewers. The filmmaker, TV serial maker, products, portrait photography uses these low key photography genres. I hope you must have noticed in the film that lots of revelation shot were taken under low key light photography and videography. But I tell you the crux of the lowlight photography, this style brings out the depth of the subject and can mesmerise your viewer absolutely.
What produces low key light photography, one and only one thing that is your control of light, knowledge of the light source, light source help you to highlight your subject in a creative way. how much knowledge do you have along with your creative photography eyes? On another hand, I would like to mention that only your creative skills help you to bring out the best results. Sometimes you may use the end number of the light source but without creative skills, they are a wastage of time and energy.
Few Important tips
- Should not try to shoot every photo in lowkey light sometimes lowkey light kills the subject
- Previsualization is important before shooting low key light
- Lowlight photography really works better to shoot portrait and products, must try
- Use black backdrops when shooting portrait or products.
- Use your comfortable camera setting, I never advise photographer to change their camera setting. Their experience helps them to settle the best camera setting to shoot.
- Never compromises with your required shot. keep trying to get the best and dreaming shot.
- Must have good post-processing skill to correct your photographs, when nothing works then your post-processing skills works.
Conclusion – Every photographer develop their photography styles but we should not try to copy other photographer’s style but we must educate ourselves from their style of photography to capture better shot.
Keep experimenting! Have wonderful and happy photography life to you all.
Photographer and Blogger Prasenjeet Gautam (www.prasenjeetgautam.com) has captured the above-posted photograph. INDIA